Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dominic's life at 7 years of age...


Dominic turned 7 on March 20th. I want to remember at this age his complete fascination with Legos. He plays all day long with them. He really does build amazing ships with secret compartments that hold little jewels. Every ship has weapons and usually there is a "good guy" and a "bad guy" ship. He still is completely innocent in the ways of the world. He loves a good Winnie the Pooh movie. He watches over and over the very old "Adventures of Robin Hood" movie. He reads the Hardy Boys over and over, read "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" in one afternoon, and loves when he gets a Lego magazine in the mail. He loves to check out books from the library and gets excited when we request things to be picked up. I love taking him on errands with me because he is in awe of everything. One day, I took him to Hobby Lobby and Aunt Patty's Attic just so I could watch him enjoy the Christmas decor. His face was unforgettable. He walked up and down each aisle gently touching things to see what they felt like. He would occasionally turn to me and smile, but go back into the trance. I remember when we lived in Tahlequah and he loved to drive by "The Christmas Store." Every conversation we had involved that store. For example, "If you use the bathroom, we will go to the Christmas store." He was so excited to put up lights this year and decorate for Advent.
I have three dates in particular that we went on together that I want to never forget. One year, I took him to Panera and we ordered the huge mugs of hot chocolate. I sat, staring at this person across from me as he went on and on about soldiers, good guys, bad guys, "ancient" things, etc. I vividly remembering tearing up listening and watching him. What a gift! I took him on a date when he was three to a movie. I watched him watch the movie. Little fat hands in popcorn, smiling and laughing at different points...God is so good to me. Last year, we went on another date to see a movie. I watched him again watch the movie. Thank you, Lord for this time you gave for us to have together. He truly makes every outing worth every effort because of his gratitude and awe. At this beautiful point in his life, he is driven and drawn to goodness. He is floored by anyone who wouldn't want to go to heaven. He loves Vianney and asks me to say to her twenty times a day "Where's your big brother?" She will always look at him and then he says every time, "How does she know it's me?"
He loves cooking in the kitchen, loves to eat out, and gets excited every week over doughnuts. What a beautiful heart he has been given! Sometimes, I miss him already and he is always with me. I love you more than you'll every know.

4 comments :

  1. Loved this post Lindsay! I wonder if there is something with the oldest boy :-) A lot of what you said reminded me of Joseph. I have nicknamed him our Philosopher for a reason ya know. Another one is Observer or Processor. Dominic sure seems to fit into those labels as well. :-) Isn't it funny how we just want to take a child with us on errands simply to watch them take it all in! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a boy like Dominic!
    wow how beautiful...
    I can already relate. I love my son to death and I already dread the day he leaves for college, and hate the girl he is going to marry...he he. well you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son is 5 days older than my oldest son...there is something special about them...I was so excited to find your blog through a pin this evening on CC...and then to see that you are Catholic too made it even more exciting...I can't wait to catch up on your family over the past three years :)

    ReplyDelete