Thursday, July 25, 2013

Candlelight Vigil and What I've been reading

This past Monday night, we walked over the Planned Parenthood at 9:30 PM for a holy hour of prayer by candlelight. There was around 200 people in attendance. We prayed the rosary and sang the chaplet of Divine Mercy together. It was so peacefully beautiful. John, Austin, Dominic, Lillie, Rose, Zellie, Vianney, and I were amongst the crowd. I always find these evenings so beautiful and hopeful. All those in attendance were there for a common cause hoping for the restoration to the sanctity of all human life from conception until natural death.
My book recommendations don't relate directly to the above post.  It is just so important to fill our souls with goodness and hope.  I love reading.  I read all the dingle-dong day long here and there.  I have books all over our home.  I love picking up a book just to read a chapter here and there.  I love the excitement of getting a new book and settling in for the evening to crack its stiff pages open only to become engrossed in the story of someone I once knew nothing about.  My literary tastes seem to sway toward biographies as my temperament is easily motivated by heroes and enlightening thoughts.

I went back to our room to get the books I am currently reading and noticed how ridiculous my nightstand is getting.
I then turn to see another book open on the bed that I had read during nap time and found another in the bathroom which I was reading while getting ready this morning.


My bible study is reading this book now which we have all found to be very intriguing.  Colleen Carroll Campbell writes personally about her conversion story and how certain saints led her to know Christ more.  



My deliciously favorite book.  I will read this book over and over as the deep seated meanings behind the brilliance of Tolkien and Lewis and the virtues we are to learn from these literary giants leave me hungry for more.  I love finding the parallels between the movies and our own personal lives.  I love knowing that what the past has known is what we are experiencing today.  I love finding out how the past was dealt with and how good eventually wins everytime.
If you've not read nor seen any of the "The Lord of the Rings" or "The Hobbit" or read any of CS Lewis than these books won't probably make as much sense because the author explains the meanings behind all the movies or books.

I think I highlighted this entire book.  Outstanding and beyond intriguing.  This book contains the ability to open the eyes of so many into many aspects of the marital life.  Up until the Second Vatican Council, we were called to "Generous Parenthood.  Since, the term has been changed to "Responsible Parenthood."  The author lays out perfectly why the wording was changed and what the true purpose of the marital act is.


This is just a small book, but leaves me enlightened each time about who I am and why God made me.  We are made for heaven.  I was created to KNOW, to LOVE, and to SERVE HIM in this world so I can be with HIM forever in the next.  As much as I enjoy reading other blogs and certain aspects of the internet, if I could only BEG you to spend most of your  time doused in good literature that lifts your mind to God.  I truly cannot pull myself away from great books. 
I just got this book today, but have known of Fr. Kapaun for a couple years now.  I, like all, love heroes.  I love those willing to lay down their lives for others without EVER counting the costs.  John's mom read this book and was almost teary-eyed telling me how much she loved his story.  He is on the fast track right now for sainthood and I know that your time invested in getting to know this man will not be without great benefit to your soul and mission.
I picked this up last week as I am nearing the end of this pregnancy and as I always do, begin to mentally map out how I plan to get back into shape.  I have used various methods after each baby like Weight Watchers, Couch to 5K, and Farrell's Kickboxing.  This time though, I feel as though I need to dig this issue up by its roots instead of just pulling the weeds.  I blew through half this book in about two days and it has opened my eyes to various issues regarding food.  

I just started this book, but have found it beyond excellent and it seems each day I have found it popping up on other blogs recommending its goodness.

Like we wish for our children, wonderful literature can open your mind and soul to so much insight and purpose.  You will begin to see your life and people differently.  You will find more meaning in your work.





17 comments :

  1. I have been reading The Imitation of Christ on and off since Lent. I really like it because you can pick it up, read a page or two and not be totally lost when you pick it up again!

    Also, I just ordered the Trojan Horse book. Seriously very interested in it because my husband and I took the first NFP class four years ago and were COMPLETELY turned off by/to NFP. So we never finished the classes. I have a feeling this articulate completely our view on the issue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear more about the Trojan Horse book. Much like Joanne (above commenter), my husband and I are absolutely disgusted with most of NFP. We attend the Traditional Latin Mass so NFP is not really a big topic but anytime we go to another parish it is all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading How to Raise Good Catholic Children right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this book list. I have read some of Dr. Boyd's articles on her website, and agree with much of her criticisms of NFP. I had forgotten she has a book now, so I'll have to add this to my wishlist. I've also heard countless praises of How to Destroy the Imagination..., but last I checked, it was sold out everywhere and/or out of print? I'll have to keep hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out another book about Fr. Kapaun - Shepherd in Combat Boots! He is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad PP has you for neighbors!

    So sorry to see the criticism for NFP; it is the Pope Paul 6th Institute and their research/understanding with NFP that got us our beautiful family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely not criticizing NFP. I completely understand its value, but at the same time we have to recognize its abuses that are wider than than they are narrow. One of our close friends works at Pope Paul 6th Institute. I love talking with her and hearing all the good they are doing. The catechism and teachings of the Church are that the use of NFP was for SERIOUS reasons. The same serious reasons that one would miss Sunday mass type serious and it sounds from your note that you were had serious reasons to use NFP in order to begin your family. Thanks be to God.

      Delete
  7. Check out With God in Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.rtforum.org/lt/lt103.html

    The link above is a nice counterpoint to Dr. Boyd witb a brief analysis of the history of Church teaching. While I doubt she is so bold in her book, a brief perusal of Dr. Boyd's blog made it clear she equates NFP with contraception! I also really have a hard time believing that the abuses of NFP are "wider than they are narrow" given the fact that so few Catholics actually use NFP. And when you find those who do, they tend to be some of the largest, most devoted Catholic families in a given parish. In addition, responsible parenthood and generous parenthood are not mutually exclusive.

    Dr. Boyd seems to be limited to a traditionalist lens based on my reading of her blog, wherein we simplistically view anything post-Vatican II as suspect. She also devoted a whole post regarding why Cardinal Dolan is a "buffoon." I point this out not because Cardinal Dolan has no flaws but because this condescending attitude is the same one often brought to this discussion. I'm not sure this is the kind of source I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just think it's funny how Lindsay can't write a post listing the books she's reading without having people jump down her throat. Clearly she's not AGAINST NFP and she's stated numerous times. If you're going to read her blog READ it before commenting and don't go on the defensive before you actually understand what she's saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey has stated for herself that she is not against NFP. The woman who wrote the book which Lindsey is referencing IS AGAINST NFP. I will grant that Dr. Boyd does allow that the Church, for the time being, permits NFP for serious reasons, but her blog posts on NFP are all about bringing NFP down, not the misapplication of it, but the entire thing. Yes that means that her entire approach is a contradiction and she strikes me as being very confused on the subject. I really do think that people need to be cautious about this book because the author's blog (what I have read from it at least) is full of theological inconsistancies and statements that fly in the face of Church teaching on sexuality. She's not wrong about everything (few people are really) but she's wrong about enough to be dangerous.

      And I am not being defensive. I favor a very conservative application of NFP and the term "serious reason." My husband and I do not use NFP and I had no problem with Dr Taylor Marshall's post on what constitutes serious reasons.

      Delete
  10. Glad to see my nightstand isn't the only one that looks like that :) My hubby doesn't see how I can be reading so many books at once. I am also reading How to Destroy the Imagination.... and am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got the Trojan Horse book yesterday and it is REALLY interesting. Thank you so much for recommending it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cravings is a great book! I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read Trojan Horse and it's riddled with theological inaccuracies. Actually, the title itself is a glaring example of how terribly she misunderstands and misrepresents Catholic teaching on marriage and nfp.

    ReplyDelete