Thursday, January 2, 2014

Siblings

Their play or "work" as Maria Montessori calls it is by far my most favorite thing about children. It is all very involved in their world. They constantly come up to me needing input for their next play. Lists are constructed daily about the next project be it the birthday party planning committee, ways to earn money for more Legos, shows to produce, costumes to make, etc., etc.
I think I will take the time to write the yearly obvious so I can be done with it.

1.  Of course they fight, bicker, and say inappropriate things.  Daily.  So do I.
2.  Of course they are selfish. Daily.  So am I.
3.  Of course they are often unsatisfied with what they have.  So am I.
4.  Of course we don't have a perfect life, with perfect kids, with perfect green grass.
5.  I have absolutely no preconceived notions about how our children will turn out.  I have seen WAY TOO MANY exceptions to the rule.  I don't know what God has planned for our children and for John and I.  So much of parenting involves the cross.  I know the cross comes throughout our whole lives.  I know teenagers are generally very hard.  I am expecting it.  I am afraid of it also.
6.  Of course I don't think homeschooling is the answer to good kids, or that we are better parents for choosing homeschooling.  NOPE.  We simply feel called to it.  That is it.  I have seen WAY TOO MANY exceptions that defy what one would normally think.
7.  Our marriage isn't bigger or better than other marriages.  We love each other, love confession, and again simply want to do the will of God.  We fail.  We try again.  We are all married to different types of people.  I am John's only wife.  So, I will be the best wife to him for that simple reason.
8.  I don't love my kids more than you love your kids because of X, Y, and Z.  I am THEIR only mother so I will be the best mother to THEM by the graces God gives to me.  Whatever we do, where ever we go, however we celebrate is unique to each family, but certainly doesn't define greatness or holiness for that matter.
9.  The number of children we have DOES NOT make us great.  Nope.  Never thought that EVER.  They are each a gift and I can't imagine our lives without any one of them.  Each child is so special to us.  I don't pretend to understand anyone's life or circumstances.  
10.  I also don't assume anybody thinks these things about us nor has anybody said any of these above often. 




7 comments :

  1. Well said Lindsay! Truth be told, I'm glad to hear you say it. In the blogging world it's too easy for people to judge thinking we are making ourselves out to be the perfect person, but as you've said before, it's no fun writing how many times we've broken up fights, corrected the talking back for the 100th time that day. It's fun to remember and jot down the moments that brought smiles to our faces and joy to our hearts. Kids struggle with their state in life, just as we do our's. Thanks for reminding us.

    May you have a super blessed Friday!
    God Bless!
    Sharon

    www.mytreasuredgems.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME post! Beautiful!
    I need to be reminded of this: "So much of parenting involves the cross." DAILY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey, I love your blog. Thank you for inspiring me to strive for holiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing that great list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your perspective is wonderful - know you're not looking for praise, but you are certainly a breath of fresh air! Thank you for sharing your very grounded and real love for God and your family via this blog, even with us unknowns out there in the Body of Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just say that your blog is such a gift! To me, at least. You are so right that everyone's life situation is different & unique to them. How great is our God that he sees to it that we ALL have a chance to choose Him in our own ways! I want to say that I read some blogs that really do make me feel a little (or a lot) on the "bad mommy/wife/Catholic/etc" side of things. Not because of them necessarily, but because of ME! But your blog is not one of those, and I am so grateful. It is difficult for me to feel motivated without feeling less than. For some reason (Holy Spirit), your words and stories always encourage me without bringing me down. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That can't be right. If #10 were true, you wouldn't have bothered clarifying for everyone #'s 1-9. Or perhaps #10 is true, and it's you who feels the need to clarify #'s 1-9 because you do indeed believe those things. It has to be one or the other. I can see no other need for this public disavowal.

    ReplyDelete