Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lillie's First Penance

Lillie received the Sacrament of Penance February 25, 2012 at St. Teresa's Catholic Church. Each time a child receives a sacrament marks a milestone similar to birthdays. You once again sit there looking at this child growing before your eyes watching them take steps closer to heaven.

All fresh and clean from her First Confession



I wrote a while back about a tradition we wanted to start on our girl's First Penance. So, off we headed to the mall to get her ears pierced.



Zellie cautiously watching to measure if it is really worth going to confession to get your ears pierced.





Beautiful girl. Beautiful soul. We prepared for months and went over several thousand times the meaning of confession, why we go to confession frequently, and the symbolism behind getting her ears pierced that day. On the way home after the piercing, I asked her if she now understood what we had been talking about all those months and what it meant to get her ears pierced.
She responded, "When I got my ears pierced, my sins went away."
Darn. Um. nope. She is such a literal child so we should have seen this one coming because all the other kids fell over in the car laughing. John and I joked that she probably thinks people with multiple piercings have been to confession a lot.
So, we started over very slowly with the explaining and tried again on the correlation.
Regardless, someday she will understand and it was a beautiful day we celebrated together.

3 comments :

  1. I love her. What a sweet girl she is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet & funny. I don't have kids of my own yet (although I'm a nanny and have so many beautiful kids in my life) but I adore your blog. I bookmark certain entries to save for when I do have children and am always talking my husband's ear off about your great ideas about teaching the children about the Catholic faith. :) Oh and the video of the kids finding out about the baby was amazing. You and your family are God's instruments to renew this country's foundation to a culture of life. Just beautiful. Thank you! And God Bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lillie, I wish that was the case; more piercings=sainthood. LOL...so cute! This seems so far away for my kids, but I know it'll be here sooner than I think.

    ReplyDelete