Thursday, September 17, 2015

True and Beautiful #1

1. I have been fascinated by the art of penmanship since I was a young child.  I bought my first calligraphy kit in grade school, but could never quite master the beauty.  My fascination continues with beautiful penmanship and I always remind our children to work diligently on their penmanship each day.

Take a moment to watch this video about Master Penman Jake Weidmann.

Read Here.
And Here.

The video is beautiful and the message is even better.



2.   A new to me blog The Art of Manliness
There are so many insightful tidbits I can't wait to share with Dominic, in particular.  It was such a fun blog to wander around in. 

3.  This afternoon, the older kids and I delightfully flipped through pictures on Facebook of the Sisters, Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  It was a simple pleasure, but seeing how the sisters live and find delight in gardening, host making, quilting, cake decorating, hiking, and cleaning warms my heart.  Rose was enamored by their life and talked about them the rest of the day.

5 comments :

  1. As usual your blog has been a comfort, education and inspiration to me as I am on bedrest following a minor op. I recently vowed to start writing with ink again, beginning with a letter to my sponsored child. It felt so much more love and care was poured into it rather than my usual internet missives! I remember reading about your mother's written words to you, too. Beautifully written words from the heart to the heart will stay with us forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the penmanship video! I too had a calligraphy set as a child and never could 'nail' it. One day I hope to actually master calligraphy, but probably after my little people are grown. I can't wait to show this to my son, who is an artist. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this video and the article! letter writing is one of my hobbies....i think i'll get a fountain pen and ditch the ball point :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fortunate enough to live the near the Still River Sisters. In fact, my son attends a summer camp at Montfort Retreat, run by the Brothers of the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. They accept campers from out-of-state! (And the Sisters run a girls' camp.) It's across the country but your children would love it and be in good hands. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lindsay! I was doing some searching on Pinterest for some homeschool planning and an old post of yours came up about Classical Conversations... I was excited to find it! We are just starting with CC this year and not doing it all the way yet (my son is only 3, almost 4, so we are only doing a handful of the subjects). I just wanted to know what you thought of the program as a Catholic? So far, we are loving it, but I am still weighing my options before we really begin homeschooling seriously next year for pre-school. Thanks for any insight you can give me!

    ReplyDelete